Syns per portion: Extra Easy 2, Red 15.5, Green 4
- 75g dried spaghetti
- 1 rasher lean back bacon
- 28g extra low-fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs (2 syns)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 level tblsp semi-skimmed milk (from healthy extra or 0.5 syns)
- 3 mushrooms
- 20g chopped onion
- 50ml veg stock
- Ground black pepper
- Pinch of parsley (dried or fresh)
- Cook pasta according to pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon pieces, mushrooms and onion in a large pan with a few sprays of frylight. Add the veg stock and simmer for a few minutes till the liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat.
- Beat together the soft cheese, milk and egg yolk in a mixing bowl. Season with some pepper.
- Drain the pasta, then return it to the saucepan. Add the bacon and stock mixture and stir.
- Add the cheese, milky and egg mixture and stir through well to combine everything. Heat gently for 2-3 mins, stirring constantly, until the mixture cooks and thickens.
- Garnish with some parsley and serve.
I have made a slimming world carbonara before with a recipe which called for eggs and quark and lets just say by the time I finished I had basically created scrambled eggs with pieces of spaghetti sticking out! So today I tried creating a recipe which was very simple to make with a delicious dish at the end. Well I definitely succeeded, as this was so good. Don't just take my word for it, make it and see, you'd be pushed to tell it was a 'diet' meal.
Here are a few notes I made about this recipe:
- The bacon can be replaced with lean ham or turkey bacon if you rather.
- I used Tesco extra low fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs however the similar own brand versions are available at other supermarkets, as well as a Philadelphia version.
- You can omit the milk from the recipe however i find it makes the sauce creamier.
- You can add 28g ordinary cheese or 42g light cheese as a Healthy Extra